Research: Exercise Benefits Migraine Patients

The benefits of exercising on various aspects of the body have been proven previously by several studies. However, a new study from the University of Washington School of Medicine said that exercise can bring a significant change in people who suffer from migraine attacks. 

Research: Exercise Benefits Migraine Patients

The study further concluded that regular exercising can bring a notable improvement in the triggers which lead to migraine including stress, depression, and trouble sleeping.  

Dr. Mason Dyess, the author of the study said that exercises contribute better to enhance good levels of neurotransmitters in the human body. He added that this will benefit an individual with lesser headaches as well as better mood and overall health. 

Research: Exercise Benefits Migraine Patients

Dr. Dyess also said that exercise upgrades heart health and manages weight, and these both play a major role in better migraine control. 

Dyess’s study was conducted with 4,600 people who suffer from migraines. Among these, 75% of people suffer from migraines 15 times in a month and the rest of 25% had 14 and lesser attacks at the same time. 

The participants underwent a questionnaire about the characteristics and of their migraine conditions. They also were enquired about questions on their sleep patterns, as well as levels of depression, stress, and anxiety. 

The exercise routine of all those who were enrolled in the study also was one of the prime concerns of the researchers. For this, they were divided into five groups according to their frequency of exercise ranging from 0- 150 minutes and more in a week. This was set according to the minimum rate recommended by the World Health Organization. Among all of them, roughly 27% of people got the recommended amount or more.  

What the study concluded is that people who got less exercise than the recommended rate had a higher chance of depression, anxiety, and sleep problems.

Another finding of the study suggested that 47% of p[eople, who didn’t follow any exercise routine, had depression, 39% had suffered from anxiety and 77% had troubles sleeping.

When compared, around 25% of the most active people had depression, 28% had anxiety and 61% was hit by troubles related to their sleep.

Researchers said that they could find a link between exercise and headache frequency. Only 5% among the group which doesn’t follow exercise routine showed no signs of headaches, but 48% of people had at least 25 headache strikes in a single month.

Whereas the group which followed a high exercise routine showed 10% of them with low headache frequency and 28% showed high headache frequency.

An expert, Dr. Mark Green from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City urged that people who are struggling with migraines should be cautious about their exercise routines. He added that the exercise routines and other activities against it have to be followed consistently. Whether it is controlling caffeine, sleep patterns, eating, and hydration.

Dr. Green also recommended that migraine sufferers can follow a routine of 3 ½ miles walking on treadmills. He added that if anyone needs to do more work out, they can increase the angle but not the speed. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post New Strains Of The Coronavirus Could Create A Global Hit Again
Next post Experts Worry Of A New Deadly Coronavirus Variant From New York