On July 6, 2022, TMS Entertainment released a trailer, character designs, key visuals, cast and staff for the upcoming poker-themed multimedia project High Card.
Publisher Kadokawa, anime studio TMS Entertainment, and entertainment company Sammy Corporation have teamed up to bring this poker-themed project together. The companies announced that the project would include anime, manga, and novels.
The High Card anime is scheduled to premiere in 2023, and a drama CD volume is scheduled for release on December 3, 2022.
HIGH CARD is a project that tells the story of a group of young people who collect special “expansion cards” that give them different abilities. Homura Kawamoto (Kakegurui franchise), his younger brother Hikaru Muno (who is working on the novelization of Kakegurui), and TMS Entertainment (animating Lupine III, Detective Conan) are credited with creating the original work, and Ebimo is credited as the original character designer.
The trailer reveals that the opening song for TV anime HIGH CARD will be “Trickster” by Japanese band FIVE NEW OLD. You can watch the trailer on Kadokawa’s official YouTube channel here:
Kawamoto and Muno also worked on the anime Build Drive – #00000 (Code Black), which was part of the Build Divide multimedia project with media company Aniplex, card game design company Yuhodo, and animation studio LIDEN FILMS.
What is the plot of HIGH CARD?
The story revolves around a young man named Finn who is a freelancer. When he finds out that the orphanage he grew up in is about to close due to financial problems, Finn heads to a casino to win big. However, Finn’s casino night goes from normal to nightmarish when he is drawn into a car chase and a bloody shootout, all caused by one man’s “lucky card”.
Finn later discovers the reasons for the shooting. Apparently, behind the scenes, the order of the world can be controlled through a set of 52 X-Playing cards that have the power to bestow various superhuman powers and abilities on those who possess them. The cards allow people to access the hidden power of “dude” found within themselves.
Finn encounters a group of people pretending to be the employees of the luxury car manufacturer Pinochle, but discovers that they are actually a secret group of gamblers called the High Card, who have been instructed by the King of Fourland to collect the scattered cards to gather the kingdom. High Card Scout Finn and he joins them on their perilous quest to find these cards.
Who are the members of the production team?
HIGH CARD production team members:
- Director – Junichi Wada (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, Caligula, Sakugan)
- Screenplays – Kenichi Yamashita, Kazuhiko Inukai, Shingo Nagai
- Character Design – Nozomi Kawano (Radiant)
- Color Key Artist – Yumi Nagi
- Art Directors – Minoru Onishi, Taigoro Suzuki
- CG Director – Masafumi Uchiyama
- Compositing Director of Photography – Tomoyuki Kunii
- Action Animation Director/Key Animators – Shunpei Mochizuki, Junichi Hayama
- Effects Animation Director – Takashi Hashimoto
- Sound Director – Shoko Hata
- Card design BALCOLON
- Concept Art – Reoen (Flat Studio)
- Animation Production – Studio Hibari
- Production – TMS Entertainment
- Series composition – Naoki Kuroyanagi
- Chief Animators – Nozomi Kawano, Haruna Nagata
- Publisher – Rie Ito
- Sound Effects – Hiromune Kurahashi
- Music – Ryo Takahashi
Who are the performers?
HIGH CARD performers include:
- Gen Sato—Finn Oldman
- Toshiki MasudaChris Redgrave
- Shun Horie – Leo Konstantin Binokel
- Haruka Shiraishi – Wendy Sato
- Yuichiro Umehara – Vijay Kumar Singh
Are you looking forward to the anime HIGH CARD? Let us know in the comment section below!