Coastal Carolina (5-0) and its teal turf earn coloration scheme of the 12 months. The Chanticleers have already matched their victory whole from final season and vaulted into the nationwide rankings for the primary time in program historical past.
Few have taken benefit of the stilted season in addition to quarterback Zach Wilson and BYU, which isn’t only a 6-Zero juggernaut (outscoring its opponents by a median of 45-14) however was one in every of solely two groups within the Mountain or Pacific time zones enjoying frequently earlier than final weekend.
One sport doesn’t a season (or a profession) make, however Greg Schiano is a contender for the Take That, F. Scott Fitzgerald Award. His second act at Rutgers began swimmingly final week with a takeaway-fueled victory at Michigan State.
Then there’s probably the most predictable improvement of all. The POY — that’s pathogen of the 12 months right here in 2020 — is, in fact, the novel coronavirus. This week introduced a number of reminders it’s as influential as something in how this season performs out.
(How Nebraska and its storied soccer program proceed discovering methods to someway make themselves a worse match for the football-centric Large Ten than decidedly non-football-centric Maryland and Rutgers, the league’s different latest enlargement additions, is a real puzzler).
Postponements and constructive checks are merely routine this season. Different subplots will develop and shrink in significance. Unsurprisingly, the story affecting all of society is, and can stay, a central determine within the 2020 school soccer season till its conclusion.
5 with probably the most at stake
1. Ohio State. The No. Three Buckeyes’ street slate after this weekend consists of journeys to Maryland, Illinois and Michigan State. Which suggests a go to Saturday to a cranky No. 18 Penn State that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory final week at Indiana is well the more than likely group to journey up Ryan Day’s bunch away from Columbus.
2. Penn State. The Nittany Lions would successfully be out of the Large Ten title race by the top of October in the event that they stumble towards Ohio State. In a standard 12 months, that might be aggravating sufficient. In a 12 months when their group’s season didn’t begin till Oct. 24, it could be particularly irritating for Penn State followers.
3. Oklahoma State. The No. 6 Cowboys (4-0) are the Large 12’s greatest playoff hope, largely as a result of they’re the final undefeated group within the league. They’re 1 / 4 of the way in which by means of a difficult stretch, having upended Iowa State final weekend. Subsequent up is Texas (which pummeled Baylor in its final outing) earlier than journeys to Kansas State and No. 24 Oklahoma.
4. Boise State. The No. 25 Broncos (1-0) are definitely a risk to nab the Group of 5’s New 12 months’s Six slot, they usually dusted off Utah State with out a lot hassle to open their season. Subsequent up is a visit to Air Pressure, which has seemed nice (towards Navy) and not-so-great (at San Jose State) however does provide the problem of a tough offense to organize for.
5a. LSU and 5b. Auburn. Who emerges from the SEC West’s tangle of Tigers with three losses getting into November and a gathering nonetheless to come back towards Alabama? It’s not a nice thought heading into this sport on the Plains.
Justin Fields didn’t disappoint within the Large Ten’s return to the sphere final weekend.
1. QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson; 1,833 yards, 17 TDs, 2 INTs passing; 71 yards, Four TDs speeding. The junior loses at the least one sport due to a constructive coronavirus take a look at, however he was within the information earlier within the week as properly. If Lawrence is critical about presumably returning to the Tigers subsequent 12 months or not, this a lot is definite: He’s most likely been a part of extra victories this season with Clemson (six) than he can be subsequent 12 months with the New York Jets. (Final week: 1)
2. RB Najee Harris, Alabama; 595 yards, 14 TDs speeding; 14 receptions, 147 yards. Harris has topped 20 carries in three consecutive weeks. The Crimson Tide won’t want him a lot towards a Mississippi State in disarray. (LW: 2)
3. QB Justin Fields, Ohio State; 276 yards, 2 TDs passing; 54 yards, 1 TD speeding. Encountered little resistance whereas carving up Nebraska’s protection final weekend. He’ll take care of a Penn State protection that largely did its job in an time beyond regulation loss to Indiana to open the season. (LW: Not ranked)
4. QB Mac Jones, Alabama; 1,905 yards, 12 TDs, 2 INTs passing. The Crimson Tide’s super-efficient signal-caller should navigate the remainder of the schedule with out the injured Jaylen Waddle. He did simply high quality with out the star wideout final week towards Tennessee. (LW: 3)
5. QB Zach Wilson, BYU; 1,928 yards, 16 TDs, 1 INT passing; 115 yards, 6 TDs speeding. The junior has nonetheless accomplished at the least 70 p.c of his passes and thrown for a number of touchdowns in every sport for the 6-Zero Cougars. A go to from 2-Four Western Kentucky, which has allowed 4 of its 5 FBS opponents to attain at the least 30 factors, is up subsequent. (LW: 6)
6. QB Kyle Trask, Florida; 996 yards, 14 TDs, 1 INT passing. After a two-week hiatus, Trask and the Gators resume play towards Missouri. (LW: 4)