Trump’s Lawyer Gets Called Out For Lying On T.V., Comes Up With Hilarious Excuse


A member of President Trump’s legal team, Jay Sekulow, was reminded of his past comments on national television, which proved to be lies.

When ABC’s George Stephanouphoulas played a past statement from Sekulow, in which he denied President Trump’s involvement in preparing a statement on the Trump Tower meeting, Sekulow admitted he had “bad information” but excused it as a normal mistake.

Here was what Sekulow said last July, a year ago:

“The president didn’t sign off on anything. He was coming back from the G20. The statement that was released on Saturday was released by Donald Trump Jr, I’m sure by consultation with his lawyers. The President wasn’t involved in that.”

Here’s what Sekulow is saying now:

“Well, George, at that time I was only on the case for a couple of weeks, and there was a lot of information that was gathered, as my colleague Rudy Giuliani said. I had bad information at that time, and I made a mistake in my statement. I’ve talked about that before. That happens when you have cases like this.”

He then deflected and said that “over time facts develop.”

It’s important to note here that Trump’s legal team is playing a dicey political/legal game in the information they have given to the public concerning the Trump Tower meeting.

Sekulow now admits he had “bad information” but failed to explain why someone in charge of Trump’s legal defense didn’t have basic information concerning the president’s role in the letter.

In fact, Sekulow at the time, in the past interview, could have denied any knowledge of what actually happened and claimed ignorance but instead claimed as factual that the president had no involvement. Sekulow’s “bad information” was a bad lie on his part. Sekulow didn’t explain why that was the case in his latest statement in response to Stephanopoulos. He should have his license to practice law revoked.

Factcheck.org compiled a timeline of the shifting responses that Trump’s lawyers and Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders have given the public over the last year concerning the president’s role in drafting Trump Jr.’s statement to the New York Times:

July 8, 2017 — The New York Times reports on the Trump campaign meeting with Veselnitskaya, who was described by the paper as “a Russian lawyer who has connections to the Kremlin.” Donald Trump Jr., in a statement to the Times, downplays the meeting, saying that the participants “primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children.” The statement makes no mention that he was promised damaging information about Clinton.

July 9, 2017 — In a second story, the Times reports that Donald Trump Jr. was “promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton before agreeing to meet with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign.” The president’s son issued a second statement that, in part, read: “[T]he woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Mrs. Clinton,” Trump Jr.’s statement read. “Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered.”

July 11, 2017 – The New York Times reports that “the president signed off” on Donald Trump Jr.’s initial statement to the Times “that was so incomplete that it required day after day of follow-up statements.” The president’s son on the same day tweets images of the email chain about that June 9, 2016, meeting, disclosing his interest in obtaining incriminating information on Clinton from the “Russian government lawyer.” (See our story, “Donald Trump Jr.’s Evolving Statements.”)

July 12, 2017 – On CNN’s “New Day,” Sekulow denies that the president had any involvement in drafting Donald Trump Jr.’s incomplete and misleading first statement to the New York Times. “I wasn’t involved in the statement drafting at all, nor was the president,” Sekulow says.

Sekulow says something similar on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “The president didn’t sign off on anything,” he says. “He was coming back from the G-20. The statement that was released on Saturday was released by Donald Trump Jr., I’m sure in consultation with his lawyers. The president wasn’t involved in that.”

July 16, 2017 – On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Sekulow repeats that the president was not involved in drafting Donald Trump Jr.’s initial response to the Times. “I do want to be clear that the president was not involved in the drafting of the statement and did not issue the statement,” Sekulow says. “It came from Donald Trump Jr. So that’s what I can tell you because that’s what we know.”

July 31, 2017 – The Washington Post reports that the president “personally dictated a statement in which Trump Jr. said that he and the Russian lawyer had ‘primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children’ when they met in June 2016, according to multiple people with knowledge of the deliberations.”

Aug. 1, 2017 – White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders denies that the president “personally dictated” the statement to the Times, but confirms for the first time that the president was involved in drafting the statement. “The president weighed in, as any father would, based on the limited information that he had,” she says. “He certainly didn’t dictate, but like I said, he weighed in, offered suggestions like any father would do.”

Jan. 29, 2018 – In a letter to special counsel Mueller, Dowd and Sekulow write that the president did dictate the letter to the New York Times – contradicting the White House press secretary. They write, “You have received all of the notes, communications and testimony indicating that the President dictated a short but accurate response to the New York Timesarticle on behalf of his son, Donald Trump, Jr.”

June 2, 2018 — The New York Times publishes a copy of the letter from Trump’s attorneys to Mueller. Dowd is no longer working as one of Trump’s attorneys; Sekulow remains on Trump’s legal team.

June 3, 2018 — Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who has joined the Trump legal team, says that Sekulow was “uninformed” when he said that the president wasn’t involved in drafting his son’s initial statement to the Times. “I think he was uninformed at the time just like I was when I came into the case,” Giuliani said.

June 4, 2018 — Sanders, the president’s press secretary, declines to answer questions about the contradiction between the January letter and her statement in August that the president “certainly didn’t dictate” his son’s letter. “I’m not going to respond to a letter from the president’s outside counsel,” Sanders says. “We’ve purposely walled off, and I would refer you to them for comment.”


Like it? Share with your friends!